Benzagel with an active ingredient Benzoyl Peroxide is used for the treatment of moderate to acute acne. It is also used in the combination with other drugs for the treatment of acne. When applied topically on the skin, it works by decreasing the amount of acne-causing bacteria and by causing the skin to dry and peel.
Action Mechanism Of Benzagel Acne Gel:
The anti-bacterial action of Benzoyl peroxide is probably related to its ability in the skin to release free radical oxygen. As Benzoyl peroxide is a lipophilic drug; it penetrates through the stratum corneum and enters the pilosebaceous follicle. It is rapidly broken down to benzoic acid hydrogen peroxide and generates free radicals that oxidize proteins in bacterial cell membranes exerting a bactericidal action. Benzoyl peroxide can reduce the free acid content of sebum which provides a useful marker for bacterial activity. The inflammatory action of the drug arises from its ability to kill polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMN cells) in the pilosebaceous follicles by preventing the release of reactive oxygen species (ROS) such as peroxides which enhances tissue inflammation.
Dosage Information for Benzagel 5:
Benzagel is available as 5% topical gel. Wash your hands and affected properly before applying the medication. Allow it to air dry for few minutes. Do not use any sort of cloth for drying. Using your fingers, apply the gel to the affected area and gently massage on the affected area. This medication is usually applied twice or thrice a day.
Missed Dose: In case you missed the dose of Benzagel, apply it as soon as you remember. If it is the time for a regular dose, skip the missed dose and continue with the regular dose.
Overdose: In the case of overdose, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
However, there are some side effects likely to occur while using this medication such as mild stinging or burning, itchy feeling, skin dryness and redness.
Contraindications of Using Benzoyl Peroxide For Acne:
There are some contraindications while using Benzagel such as:
- Avoid using any skin products that causes irritation, such as harsh soaps, shampoo, skin cleanser, hair products etc
- Avoid using the medication if you have severe skin allergic reactions
- Avoid using the medication on wound or areas of eczemas
Drug Interactions With Benzoyl Peroxide Gel:
- Dapsone is likely to interact with Benzoyl Peroxide
- Avoid using any dietary or herbal supplements as it might interact with the activity of the drug
Storage Conditions for Benzagel:
This medication is to be stored at room temperature; to be kept away from heat and moisture. Keep this medication out of reach from children and pets.
Precautionary measures while using Benzagel 5:
- Used for the topical purpose only. Avoid using the medication on nose, eyes and mouth or highly inflamed or damaged skin
- Before using any special cleanser, shaving solution or any other cream, must consult your physician
- Benzoyl peroxide may cause your skin burn more easily. So avoid going in sunlight or any other area where your skin may be damaged
- This medication may cause bleaching, so avoid using this medication on your hair
- You must consult your doctor before using this medication during pregnancy and breast feeding
- Used with caution in children as safety and efficacy of this medication has not yet been conformed in the children
- Do not use this formulation if you have allergies to food or some other substances
- Avoid using Benzoyl Peroxide if you are using any tretinoin products
- This formulation may cause your skin to become dry, avoid using any type of moisturizing cream