Dostinex - Cabergoline
Dostinex is an oral medication contains Cabergoline as an important ingredient. It is used for the treatment of disorders linked to increase levels of Prolactin hormone either due to tumor in the pituitary gland or due to any unknown reasons.
Dostinex is a dopamine receptor agonist and it shows its action by blocking the liberation of prolactin from the pituitary gland.
Contraindications of Dostinex-
• Breast feeding mothers should not use this medication as it passes through the milk and has influence on the milk production.
• Avoid this drug in case of allergy with generic Cabergoline.
• Do not take this drug in case of renal or hepatic impairment.
• Consumption of this medication should be avoided in case of high blood pressure.
Drug interaction of Dostinex 0.5mg-
• Macrolides like Clarithromycin along with this medicine as it increases the risk of adverse effect of Dostinex.
• Butyrophenones such as Haloperidol, Metoclopramide, Phenothiazine’s and Thioxanthenes should not be taken with this drug as it reduces the efficiency of Dostinex.
• Triptans like Sumatriptan should not be consumed with Dostinex.
Storage conditions of Dostinex 0.25mg
• This medicine should be stored at room temperature (250C) in a cool and dry place.
• It should be kept away from direct heat, light and moisture.
Dose of Dostinex
• For inhibition of lactation: A recommended dose of 1mg should be consumed in a single dose along with a glass of water. For repression of established lactation, the prescribed dose of 0.25 mg should be taken after every 12 hours for two days.
For the treatment of hyperprolactinemia disorders: A person should consume an initial dose of 0.5 mg in a week in one or two dose. The weekly dose should be increased slowly by adding a dose of 0.5mg per week at monthly gap till the therapeutic response is achieved. The maximum dose of this medication should not exceed more than 3mg in a day.
Various side effects of Dostinex are nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, indigestion, constipation, headache, depression, dizziness, feeling sleepy or lethargic, nervousness, numbness or tingly feeling, dry mouth, lower back pain and swelling of neck and ankle.
Safety tips that should be kept in mind while using Dostinex are:
• Avoid consumption of this medication on daily basis until a doctor prescribes it.
• Consumption of this drug leads to dizziness, sleepy and lethargic so you should not perform any task that needs full focus.
• Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking this medication as it increases the risk of side effects.
• This medication should be consumed only if clearly required by consulting a doctor.