Korlym is an available in the form of tablet, which is used for the termination of unplanned pregnancy. It contains generic Mifepristone as a crucial ingredient, which is a renowned anti-progesterone hormone tablet. It shows its action by blocking the progesterone hormone, which is important for the maintenance of pregnancy. This blockage leads to the shedding of the lining of the walls of uterus and dilation of the cervix resulting in the termination of the pregnancy.
Korlym is contraindicated in various conditions such as:
• If you are allergic to this generic Mifepristone, then avoid intake of this drug.
• Females having vaginal bleeding due to any unknown reason, then you should not take this drug.
• If you are undergoing through endometrial hyperplasia or endometrial, carcinoma should not take this drug.
• Avoid consumption of this medicine in case of renal and hepatic failure.
Medications that interact with Korlym are:
• Azoles antifungal such as Itraconazole and Ketoconazole
• Blood thinners such as Warfarin , Heparin
• Corticosteroid such as Prednisone
• Anti-epileptic medicines like Carbamazepine, Phenytoin
• NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Salicylic acid, Aspirin
Storage condition of Korlym
• The drug should be stored at room temperature i.e. 300C.
• It should be kept in a cool and dry place away from direct heat, light and moisture.
• It should be kept away from the reach of children.
Prescribed dose of Korlym
This drug is available in the form of tablet so it should be consumed orally along with sufficient amount of water. It can be taken with or without food. A female should consume 3 pill of Mifepristone (200mg) along with water. After taking this drug, you should wait for 2 to 3 days and then visit a doctor for the confirmation of abortion. If abortion has not taken place, then take two tablets of Misoprostol within 48 hours.
You should go again after 14 days to the hospital for the confirmation of abortion.
There are some types of side effects, which can be produced after the intake of this drug such as stomach ache, muscle pain, headache, giddiness, sleepiness, vomiting, nausea, heavy bleeding from the vagina, pain in the lower abdomen region and pain in body.
Warnings and precautions
• Breastfeeding mothers should not take this medicine as it may pass through the milk of the mother.
• Intake of this medication makes a person feel sleepy and lethargic so you should not drive, operate heavy machinery or perform any task that requires full concentration.
• If you are using IUD's, then remove it before taking this medicine.
• If your pregnancy is older than 7 weeks, then you should avoid intake of this drug.
• Females should avoid smoking while using this medication as it may worsen the side effects of this medication.
• Females who are below 16 years of age should not use this drug.