Plan B - Morning after Pill
Plan-B is an emergency contraceptive pill and has advantage over others that it can be used by females who are allergic to estrogen derivative. It also termed as morning after pill. It is effectively used in the prevention of child birth in most of the cases like failure of other contraception method.
It is a progestin only pill and contains a synthetic compound, Levonorgestrel as its main ingredient. It is a derivative of progestin. It interrupts the process of ovulation or delay the release of egg. It also interrupts the fertilization of egg. Due to it’s this unique mechanism of action, it is a very popular choice among women. Plan B is also known as Morning after Pill.
Plan-B is contraindicated in following cases
- In case, a female is already pregnant then she should avoid this medication.
- It should not be used in females, who are less than 17 years of age.
- It should not be used by females, who are allergic to progestin derivatives.
Storage conditions: Keep it away from children and pets; at room temperature which should be away from direct heat and moisture.
Plan B Over the Counter
A female should take one tablet of this medication orally within 72 hours of intercourse or as soon as possible after the intercourse. After exact 12 hour she should take another tablet or 2nd tablet of this medication. It can be used anytime during periods.
A female should be examined by her doctor within 3 weeks after consuming this medication. If a female vomit out, within 1 hour after taking this medication then she should contact with her doctor immediately. The timing of doses of this drug is most important.
Do not take this drug in large amounts as it can lead to harmful effects like severe vomiting and nausea. The dose of this medication should not be missed by a female, as timing of this medication is important. It may result in the pregnancy.
In case of missing a dose, the female should contact with her doctor immediately. Intake of Plan-B may cause some side effects like dizziness, headache, stomach pain, nausea.
Safety Tips of Morning after Pill
- It should be used with extra care in case of breastfeeding and diabetes.
- This medication should be consumed on time and for best result always consume this drug as soon as possible after the intercourse.
- It should not use as regular birth control pill, as it is an emergency contraceptive pill.
- Other drugs like Rifampin, Phenobarbital and Phenytoin, should be avoided in combination with this medication.